Alabama Truck Permits


Permits for Commercial Trucking in Alabama

At TIS Trucking Services, we understand that obtaining the necessary commercial trucking permits and documentation in Alabama can be a challenging and time-consuming task. However, it is a critical step in ensuring that your business is fully compliant with state and federal regulations. That's why we're here to assist you. We'll work with you to ensure that all the necessary paperwork is accurately filed, so you can concentrate on running your business efficiently.

The first step towards obtaining your Alabama commercial trucking permits and documents is to collect all the required information, including your company information as filed with the Secretary of State, and truck registration. Once you have all the necessary paperwork, it must be submitted to the relevant office. TIS Trucking Services can help simplify this process, making sure that everything is submitted correctly and in a timely manner.

What Permits Are Required for Alabama?

  • Alabama Intrastate Non-Divisible Load Permit (ANNL)

    Also known as an ANNL permit, this type of permit is required for any load over 80,000 pounds or with dimensions greater than 8 feet wide or 14 feet high. This type of permit cannot be split into multiple loads, which means it must stay within state lines until it reaches its final destination. The cost for this type of permit is based on the weight of the load and how long it needs to stay on the road.

  • Alabama Annual Overweight Permit (AAOP)

    This type of annual permit allows truckers to haul overweight loads up to 135,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW). It is valid for one year from the date it was issued and can only be used for intrastate travel (within the state of Alabama). To apply for an AAOP permit you will need to fill out an application and submit it along with payment.

  • Alabama Oversize/Overweight Trip Permit (AOTP)

    This type of trip-specific permit allows truckers to haul overweight or oversized loads within the state of Alabama without having to obtain an ANNL or AAOP permit beforehand. The cost for this type of permit varies based on the size and weight of the load, as well as how long it will take to reach its destination.

  • DOT Number

    A DOT number for commercial trucking is a unique identifier issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to commercial trucks operating in Alabama, and other states and territories throughout the US. The dot number alerts law enforcement agencies that the truck meets federal safety and environmental standards. All motor carriers, brokers, freight forwarders, leasing companies, private carriers and intermodal equipment providers must acquire this dot number before they can legally begin operating on any public roads in the state of Alabama. A dot number ensures that commercial trucks are properly inspected and monitored for compliance with applicable laws so that drivers can feel safe on the road.

  • Federal MC Authority

    Alabama motor carriers are required to comply with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations. Alabama-based carriers must demonstrate commercial trucking authority by obtaining an MC number, which is provided by the FMCSA after documentation has been filed and reviewed. Alabama motor carriers seek out FMCSA's esteemed commercial trucking authority because it conveys to shippers, brokers, and the public that they operate according to the highest standards of safety. Compliance assures Alabama motor carriers that when working together with other companies, an appropriate level of mutual competence and trust exists.

  • BOC-3 Filing

    Alabama requires commercial trucking companies to file a federal BOC-3 filing, also known as an Interstate Motor Carrier Operating Authority Form. This filing empowers Alabama to issue an Operating Authority Certificate to the company, notifying the other states that they are authorized to transport goods in interstate commerce and are deemed responsible carriers. The BOC-3 form is required for all commercial truckers who operate motor vehicles weighing 10,001 pounds or more, carry 9 passengers or more for compensation, or transport hazardous materials requiring placarding. Completing the BOC-3 process will enable Alabama companies to operate validly without running into any legal trouble within Alabama or any other states of their operations.

  • UCR Filing

    Alabama is just one of many states that require commercial trucking fleets to register with the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) in order to award them permission to conduct commercial transport within the state. The UCR filing is a national program that is facilitated by individual states, granting unified registration and fees across all the participating states. Alabama, having signed onto the program in 2008, now requires all commercial truckers eyeing Alabama roads for their operations to have registered with the UCR in order to legally operate their fleet of vehicles in Alabama. This helps Alabama and other states enforce uniform regulations to protect both businesses and citizens who benefit from commercial transport.

  • 2290 HVUT

    2290 Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) is a federal excise tax in the United States collected by the IRS from commercial trucking companies. 2290 HVUT is imposed annually on all large commercial vehicles operating at a gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more on public highways. 2290 HVUT must be paid for in each taxable period prior to the vehicle being operated on public highways and some states, like Alabama, require it for any commercial truck registered or based within their state regardless of weight. 2290 HVUT helps generate funds which are then invested in highway construction, road and bridge repair, and so on. It also keeps record of vehicles used in interstate commerce in an effort to reduce interstate fraud.

We Can Help with Your AL Trucking Permits

Obtain the Right Permits for Your Needs

TIS Trucking Services offers a comprehensive suite of services to meet all of your commercial trucking requirements in Alabama. We can assist with obtaining your permits, securing your registration, and acquiring insurance. Our team appreciates the significance of having everything in order and will make every effort to ensure that the process is completed swiftly and smoothly.

Our approachable and knowledgeable staff can guide you through the necessary steps. We'll provide step-by-step support to eliminate any worries or confusion. If you have any inquiries along the way, we are always available to provide answers. So, don't wait any longer! Contact us today and allow us to take care of all your Alabama commercial trucking needs efficiently!

Get Help With Your Insurance Requirements

In addition to our services at TIS Trucking Services, our parent company, The Insurance Store, can provide assistance with your insurance needs. Whether you're seeking coverage for commercial trucks, personal vehicles, your home, or business, we offer a variety of options to suit your specific requirements. Our experienced team will work with you to find the ideal insurance policy that offers the right coverage at an affordable price. Trust us at TIS to help safeguard what matters most to you.

Truck Permit Services Available in All States

In addition to our services in Alabama, we also provide trucking permit services in neighboring states including Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida. Get in touch with our team today to find out more information and how we can assist you with your trucking needs in these states.

Get Your AL Trucking Permits

Here is what Our Happy Customers have to say

Professional and timely customer service and support. Rita, the representative that assisted me was very courteous and helpful.
Shirley Guzman

Shalyn got me my permits fast and made the whole process easy and simple very professional and outstanding customer service can’t recommend enough if your looking for insurance or permits for your trucks.
Blaine Brown

By far the best customer service, Rita handles all my company permits and concerns she is very helpful. This is my second year with TIS I wouldn't go anywhere else. Thank you Rita and the TIS team.
Carlos Alvarez