We’re excited to feature a delicious recipe submitted by Rennae Packer: Vegetarian Jambalaya. This flavorful dish is a vegetarian twist on the classic jambalaya, packed with vibrant vegetables. The combination of carrots, celery, okra, and green bell peppers creates a delightful medley of textures and tastes. With aromatic spices and the perfect blend of seasonings, this vegetarian jambalaya is sure to satisfy your taste buds and leave you craving more. Give it a try and savor the bold flavors of this hearty and wholesome recipe!
- 3 TBSP oil
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minces
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 cup Carrots, sliced
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 2 cup red and green Bell Peppers, chopped
- 2 tsp dried Basil
- ¼ tsp dried Thyme
- 2 cups Tomatoes, chopped
- 10 oz frozen Okra
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- ½ tsp ground Allspice
- 1/8 -1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- Smoked Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Scallions, sliced
- In a large pot, heat oil. Add Onions, Garlic, and Bay Leaves. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Stir in Carrots, Celery, Bell Peppers, Basil, and Thyme. Sauté 5 minutes.
- Add Tomatoes, Okra, Vegetable Stock, and remaining spices.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Make Roux
- In a heavy skillet heat vegetable oil – oil should be hot, but not smoking.
- Wisk in the flour to form a smooth paste.
- Lower heat to gently simmer.
- Stir constantly until the paste turns a nutty brown.
- Add the Roux to the Stew- Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Remove Bay Leaves.
- Serve over Rice and add desired toppings.
- Toppings: Smoked grated cheddar cheese, chopped fresh parsley, sliced scallions.