MC or MCP Number? What is it?

In Newsletter Content by Brandon St. Clair

MC Federal Permit

What is an MC? An MC (Federal Motor Carrier) Number allows you to cross state lines out of your home state (where your DOT is registered). An MC Number allows you to transport interstate commerce. Your MC is your FMCSA operating authority. Operating authority dictates the type of operation a company may run and the cargo it may carry.

Who needs an MC?

In general, companies that do the following are required to have interstate operating authority in addition to a DOT number:

  1. Operating as for-hire carriers (for a fee or other compensation)
  2. Transporting federally regulated commodities or arranging for their transport, in interstate commerce.

***For your MC to be active, you must file proof of liability insurance with FMCSA.

MCP State Permit

What is an MCP? An MCP (State Motor Carrier Permit) is a permit for CA drivers who transport property, operate large commercial vehicles, transport hazardous material, or operate vehicles requiring a commercial driver license. This proves that they have registered their California Carrier Identification number with the DMV.

Who needs an MCP?

The following types of drivers and/or vehicle operation require an MCP:

  1. Any person or business entity that is paid to transport property in their motor vehicle regardless of vehicle size, type, or weight.
    • Entities that transport property for compensation are deemed a ‘for-hire’ motor carrier.
    • If you are a courier service and your vehicle is a motorcycle, you are required to have an MCP.
  2. Generally, any person or business entity operating a commercial vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more.
    • This includes commercial and private use.
    • Entities operating vehicles hauling personal goods or property are deemed a ‘private’ motor carrier.
  3. Operators of any vehicle or a combination of vehicles transporting hazardous materials.
  4. Operators of a combination of a motor truck and trailer, semitrailers, pole or pipe dollies, auxiliary dollies, and logging dollies, that exceeds 40 ft in length when coupled together.
  5. Operators of any motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicle and trailer for which the operation requires a commercial driver license.