- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 6 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- In a large bowl, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla until blended. Stir in coconut and pecans. Divide dough in half; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Working with half the dough at a time, shape mixture into 1-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate 30 minutes longer.
- In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over barely simmering water, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls in melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Return to waxed paper. Refrigerate until set.
- To Make Ahead: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Freeze option: Freeze candy, layered between pieces of waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw in refrigerator 2 hours before serving.