Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Refrigeration: 3 hours
Total: 3 hours 20 minutes
- 4 large Granny Smith apples
- 5 c. caramels or appx. 1 bag Kraft Caramel bits
- 7 cinnamon graham crackers or 1 prepared pie crust
- 1 1/2 lbs. melting chocolates or chocolate chips
- cinnamon and sugar to taste (appx 2 Tbsp sugar + 1/8 tsp. cinnamon)
- 8 large marshmallows optional… only if you want to make “ears”
- Scrub apples and dry with a dishcloth or paper towel. This is to get the wax coating off (if you REALLY want to get the wax off, drop them in boiling water for a few seconds and wipe dry).
- Refrigerate apples for a few hours until they are nice and cold.
- Melt caramel in the microwave (in a microwave-safe dish) for 30 seconds at a time until caramel is nice and melted or follow directions on package if using the Bits. If you are using un-wrapped caramels, you can also put the caramels in a small crock pot on high heat until melted.
- Place caramel apple sticks or popsicle sticks into the top of each apple and dip each apple into the caramel until fully coated, rotating the apple as needed. Let excess caramel drip off and them place on wax paper. Refrigerate at least 2-3 hours until caramel is completely cooled onto the apples.
- In a food processor, process graham crackers (or pie crust) until well blended. If doing a pie crust, add a little cinnamon and sugar to the mixture. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave until chocolate is just melted and there are no lumps. Dip each apple in the chocolate and allow chocolate to set up for a few seconds. When chocolate has set a little, roll the bottom half in processed graham cracker crumbs (or crust). Sprinkle entire apple with cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- Optional: Once the chocolate on the apples have set, roll each marshmallow in the chocolate and place on the apples to make “ears”. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and hold in place until set.