What is the difference between intrastate and interstate permits?

In Newsletter Content by Brandon St. Clair

Have you ever wondered what the requirements are in your state to start or expand your trucking company? Whether you deliver in your home state or in all 48 states, we can help. We work with each trucking company individually and help keep your authority in compliance.

What is an intrastate hauler?

If a driver or company is only delivering cargo in a single state, they may only need to obtain intrastate operating authority. This includes proper registration, which may mean obtaining a USDOT number, though in some cases, intrastate operating authority does not require drivers or companies to obtain an operating authority number.

These requirements—set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)—can vary based on how you use a commercial vehicle and the location of you or your company.

What is an interstate hauler?

Drivers or companies that transport both passengers and federally-regulated commodities owned by others—or arranging for their transport for a fee or other compensation—through interstate commerce are required to obtain both a USDOT number and an interstate operating authority (MC) number, which classifies the type of operation a company or driver may run and the cargo it may carry.

Interstate operating authority can include Motor Carrier (MC), Freight Forwarder (FF), or Mexico-Domiciled (MX) numbers, depending on the type of authority that is granted. Different types of operating authority can have an effect on the type and level of insurance required by FMCSA, and drivers or companies may need to obtain multiple operating authorities to support their business operations.

Let us help walk you through the compliance process for your trucking company. We welcome any questions you may have and look forward to working with you.