- 1 package active dry yeast
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- ½ cup shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 5 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Orange icing (see below)
- Oven 400° degrees
- Soften active yeast in warm water (110°).
- Combine milk, shortening, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl; cool to lukewarm. Stir in about 2 cups of the flour; beat well. Add eggs; mix well. Stir in softened yeast. Add orange peel, juice, and enough of remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Knead dough 8 to 10 minutes on lightly floured surface till smooth and elastic. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface. Cover; let rise in warm place till double (about 2 hours). Punch down; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll dough in 18×10 –inch rectangle, ½ inch thick. Cut strips 10 inches long and ¾ inch wide. Roll each strip lightly under your fingers; loosely tie in knot. Arrange on greased baking sheets and tuck ends under. Cover; let rise till almost double (about 45 minutes). Bake in hot oven (400°) 12 minutes or till done. Cool on rack. Makes 24.
- Frost with orange icing: blend 1 teaspoon grated orange peel, 2 tablespoons orange juice, and 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar. Brush icing on with a pastry brush for a smooth, even glaze.