Being Turkish, I grew up eating this traditional salad regularly. It is a refreshing and healthy meal that is perfect for any day of the week!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or veg oil)
- 2 medium-size tomatoes, cut into dice-size pieces
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, and cut into dice-size pieces
- Give the uncooked bulgur a good rinse under cold water (in a strainer).
- Bring the water to a boil in a 1–2-quart saucepan.
- Add the uncooked bulgur and salt, stir and cover pan.
- Remove pan from heat and set aside for 15 minutes to let the bulgur soak up water.
- Check the bulgur after 15 minutes to make sure it absorbed water and is chewable.
- If ready, transfer the bulgur into a larger mixing bowl.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to bowl, toss well, place in fridge until ready to serve COLD.
Hint: I like to add cayenne pepper for an extra bit of spice! You can also add 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill. 😊