California Truck Permits


Commercial Trucking Permits in California

As a professional truck operator, you should know that procuring the appropriate permits is an essential part of commercial trucking in California. There are numerous types of commercial truck permits you must acquire, each with specific requirements. You'll need to know about the various truck permits required for intrastate and interstate travel in California and how to obtain them. Our team will be there to guide you every step of the way as you obtain your CA trucking permits, ensuring that you remain compliant while traveling on the road.

What Permits are Needed for California Intrastate Trucking?

  • DOT Number

    If you're a seasoned truck driver, you know that having a DOT number is mandatory for commercial trucks in the United States. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) assigns this number, which must be prominently displayed on the truck. DOT numbers are utilized to track important details about commercial trucking companies, such as their safety records and insurance coverage. Without a valid DOT number, operating a truck legally in the United States is impossible. Thus, DOT numbers are a critical element of the commercial trucking business.

  • CA Number

    A CA number, or California Highway Patrol's (CHP) unique identifier for motor carriers, serves a vital role in keeping an eye on their safety record and ensuring compliance with all state and federal regulations. It's imperative that the carrier displays the CA number on their vehicles and provides it to any shipper or broker with whom they contract. In the event a carrier lacks a CA number, they may apply for one through the CHP, so don't fret!

  • Motor Carrier Permit

    Transporting goods or passengers by truck is no small feat. It requires a permit known as a motor carrier permit or MCP, issued by the Department of Transportation. But, as with anything worth having, the permit doesn't come easy. Companies seeking an MCP must first pass a safety audit that assesses their ability to operate safely and comply with all DOT regulations. Once granted, the MCP comes with strings attached. Companies are subject to periodic safety reviews to ensure that they're still meeting all DOT requirements. So, while obtaining an MCP is essential for any company that wants to transport goods by truck, it's no walk in the park. It takes hard work and dedication to maintain compliance and uphold safety standards. Without an MCP, a company would be forced to take a detour and wouldn't be allowed to operate on public roads.

  • Employer Pull Notice

    Employers need to keep tabs on their employees, particularly those with driving responsibilities. An employer pull notice, or EPN, is a system that can help with that. The employer contracts with a state DMV, which provides periodic updates on the driving records of their employees. By doing so, the employer can quickly take appropriate action if an employee commits a serious traffic violation or racks up too many points on their license. It's a useful tool for ensuring that employees stay on the straight and narrow while on the road. So, if you're an employer looking to stay in the driver's seat, an EPN might just be what you need to keep things on track.

Do I need Additional Permits for Interstate Travel Outside of CA?

  • Federal MC Authority

    To operate as a trucking company in the United States, a unique identifier known as an MC number is a must-have. It's like a license plate for your business! To get one, trucking companies have to fill out an MCS-150 form, which asks for basic information such as the company's legal name and contact details. Once the form is submitted, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) will give it a good once-over and decide whether or not to issue the company an MC number. It's not just a rubber-stamping exercise either - the FMCSA takes safety very seriously and will only grant an MC number to companies that meet their stringent standards. But, once you've got your MC number, you're good to hit the open road!

  • BOC-3 Filing

    For transportation and logistics companies doing business across the United States, a BOC-3 filing is a vital step to take. It's like having a legal superhero on your side, ready to accept important documents on your behalf in each state where you're authorized to operate. The filing - which stands for "Designation of Agents for Service of Process" - assigns a process agent who is authorized to receive legal documents, such as court summons or lawsuits. It's an important measure that helps to ensure that your company is on the right side of the law and that you're operating within the boundaries of the law in each state. So, if you're doing business across state lines, make sure you get your BOC-3 filing done pronto!

  • UCR Filing

    The operation of trucks across multiple states can be a thorny and complicated issue, with different states often requiring different registration requirements. Thankfully, the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) program has been implemented to simplify the registration process for truckers operating in multiple states. Essentially, the UCR agreement allows truckers to file a single registration, rather than worrying about the various registration requirements for each individual state they operate in. This not only saves time and reduces paperwork, but it also helps law enforcement officials identify trucks that are operating without a valid registration. In order to apply for UCR, truckers first need to select a base state, which is the state where they maintain their principal place of business. From there, they need to submit their registration fee and any necessary documentation to that state. Once the registration is processed, they will receive a Unified Carrier Registration certificate, which they are required to keep in their truck at all times. So there you have it! With UCR, truckers can operate with greater ease and efficiency across state lines, without the headaches that come with navigating different registration requirements.

  • 2290 HVUT

    The 2290 HVUT is a tax that the IRS slaps on truckers who drive heavy-duty vehicles. The amount of tax levied on the trucker depends on the weight of the vehicle, and it serves the purpose of covering the maintenance expenses for our country's bridges and highways. Generally, the tax is due when the trucker registers their vehicle for the first time each year. Nevertheless, they can request an exemption if they plan on driving their truck for fewer than 5,000 miles during that year. Despite the fact that 2290 HVUT can be a significant expense for truckers, it is important to remember that the tax serves a critical role in maintaining our nation's infrastructure.

We Can Help with Your CA Trucking Permits

Obtain the Right Permits for Your Needs

Trucking permits are a vital part of the industry, but the complexities of the permit system can be daunting. With so many different types of permits available, it's essential to understand what you need and why. For instance, if you're hauling cargo across state lines, you'll need to file an interstate permit. Oversized loads require special permits, and if you're only making a one-time trip, you'll need a trip permit. And let's not forget about filing the necessary documents with the Public Utilities Commission to ensure your rates are reasonable. The permit process can be time-consuming, but the TIS Trucking Services team is here to help you navigate it all. Trust us to get you the permits you need so you can focus on delivering your cargo and having a successful trip.

DMV Services Available in California

Let's be honest... nobody likes dealing with the DMV. Let us take the stress out of this process. Whether you are in need of a new vehicle registration, a renewal of an existing registration, a transfer of title, or an update of documents, our team is well-equipped to assist you. We can expedite the process and ensure it is painless, so you can hit the road once again.

Get Help With Your Insurance Requirements

Are you on the hunt for some top-notch insurance coverage? Look no further than our parent company, The Insurance Store. Whether you're seeking protection for your commercial trucks, personal vehicles, home, or business, we've got you covered. Our extensive range of options ensures that you can select the ideal coverage to meet your specific needs. And don't worry about breaking the bank – we'll help you find the best coverage at the most competitive prices. Let us lend a hand in safeguarding what's near and dear to your heart.

Truck Permit Services Available in All States

We also offer trucking permit services for states surrounding California including Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon. Contact our team today to learn more!

Get Your CA Trucking Permits

Here is what Our Happy Customers have to say

Rita has been the absolute best during our permit process. Helped us with ALL questions we had was very patient with all our concerns as we are new business owners. Recommend her 100% we really appreciate your help Rita you’re amazing! Thank you very much!
Jesus Lutt

Rita was amazing very simple and fast service completed MCP renewal very fast would definitely recommend TIS Trucking Services!
Ricardo Barcenas

Shalyn has been been so helpful every step of the way and has made starting my business easy.
Brandon N.