Jodi Godinez of our Trucking Department submitted this recipe and says, “This recipe originated with my sister Kathy, and it’s been a staple at many a family gathering dessert-grazing table for the past 20 years or more. Brownies, check! Chocolate chips, check! Gooey caramel, check, check! Can be made with or without nuts. I like them without.”
- 50 caramels
- Small can evaporated milk
- 1 12oz bag chocolate chips
- 1 box German chocolate cake mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 9×13 pan.
- In a double boiler, melt caramel and 1/3 C evaporated milk.
- Mix cake mix with 3/4C melted margarine, 1/3C evaporated milk, and ¾ C chopped nuts.
- Press half of dough in bottom of pan.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes.
- Spread caramel mixture over baked dough.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips.
- Plop remaining dough on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes.