Alaska Truck Permits


Permits for Commercial Trucking in Alaska

At TIS Trucking Services, we understand that obtaining commercial trucking permits and documentation in Alaska can present significant challenges and consume a considerable amount of time. However, compliance with state and federal regulations is crucial for the success of your business. To alleviate this burden, we offer our professional assistance. Our team will work in conjunction with you to ensure that all essential paperwork is accurately completed, allowing you to focus on growing your business.

To commence the process of obtaining your Alaska commercial trucking permits and documentation, you must gather all required information, including your company's records registered with the Secretary of State, your EIN number, and your truck registration. Once all necessary documents are in hand, they must be submitted to the appropriate office. TIS Trucking Services can streamline this procedure by ensuring that all submissions are precise and punctual.

What Permits Are Required for Alaska?

  • DOT Number

    Alaska is no exception when it comes to commercial trucking. All Alaska-based commercial truck operators must secure a Department of Transportation (DOT) number in order to operate within the state. These numbers are unique to each operator, and must be displayed on their vehicle and any trailers they pull. The number also allows Alaska to track and analyze safety performance data, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations. It is important for Alaska-based commercial truck operators to become familiar with DOT numbers so that they can stay compliant and have peace of mind knowing that all state regulations are being met.

  • Federal MC Authority

    Alaska has one of the most expansive motor carrier authorities in the United States, with a large number of both commercial and non-commercial vehicles travelling to Alaska. To carry out safe commercial motor vehicle operations while in Alaska, it is imperative that all motor carriers obtain and abide by an MC number which is issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This MC number will enable them to operate legally within Alaska’s borders and be in compliance with FMCSA for all commercial trucking authority purposes. By ensuring that motor carriers firmly adhere to licensing specifications from FMCSA’s Motor Carrier Index, Alaska will remain secure from having inoperable vehicles on its roads.

  • BOC-3 Filing

    Alaska requires commercial trucking companies operating in Alaska to file a BOC-3 form with the federal government. A BOC-3 form is a federal filing that informs Alaska what types of commercial trucking activities are to be conducted by the respective company, as well as who will serve as the designated agent for service in Alaska. This filing is particularly important for Alaska due to its remoteness, and makes it easier to ensure compliance on behalf of Alaska in terms of appropriate commercial trucking activities being conducted. By requiring a BOC-3 filing, Alaska can ensure that all commercial trucking operations within its borders are carried out according to regulations and standards set in place.

  • UCR Filing

    The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) is a filing that simplifies the commercial trucking permitting process for Alaska. This unified platform requires carriers to provide vital information about their fleet, including registration fees, safety details, taxation documents, and insurance coverage. By having this information stored in one central location, Alaska and other participating states are able to easily identify which trucks require permits throughout the country. UCR has become essential for Alaska’s commercial trucking industry since it ensures fleets have all the appropriate paperwork needed to legally operate across multiple jurisdictions—eliminating the need to file separate applications with each individual state.

  • 2290 HVUT

    Alaska's 2290 heavy vehicle use tax, or HVUT, is a federal form administered by the IRS that applies to commercially operated trucks within Alaska and across the United States. These trucks have a gross weight of 55,000lbs or more and are used for commercial purposes such as farming and trucking. The 2290 HVUT must be filed with the IRS each year in order to renew their commercial operating license. The IRS will then issue an Alaska Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Form to the owner that must be maintained for four years in order to renew future licenses. Although Alaska does not enforce its own strict tax regulations regarding commercial trucking, all operators are required to meet the federally regulated 2290 HVUT filing requirement in order to maintain their license.

We Can Help with Your AK Trucking Permits

Obtain the Right Permits for Your Needs

TIS Trucking Services offers comprehensive services to fulfill all your commercial trucking requirements in Alaska. Our services extend to filing for permits, securing registrations and procuring insurance, ensuring that all your documentation is in order. We recognize the significance of having your paperwork organized, and we strive to make the process as seamless and efficient as possible.

If you're unsure about the procedures, our friendly and well-informed staff is here to assist. They will guide you through each step of the process, eliminating any confusion or worries you may have. If you have any queries, don't hesitate to ask as we are always eager to help. Don't wait any longer. Get in touch with us today and let us take care of all your commercial trucking needs in Alaska!

Get Help With Your Insurance Requirements

In addition to our trucking services, our parent company, The Insurance Store, offers a wide range of insurance solutions to cater to all your personal, business, and commercial needs. With a broad spectrum of options available, our team is dedicated to finding the perfect insurance coverage that meets your specific requirements. Whether you require insurance for your commercial trucks, personal vehicles, home, or business, we've got you covered.

Our goal at TIS is to ensure the protection of what's important to you by providing the best insurance coverage at competitive prices. Let our knowledgeable and experienced team assist you in securing the insurance you need to safeguard your assets.

Truck Permit Services Available in All States

Get ready to hit the open road with ease! Our top-notch trucking permit services are available for various states in route to Alaska, such as Washington, Idaho, Montana, and more. Don't hesitate, reach out to our fantastic team now and discover all the details!

Get Your AK Trucking Permits

Here is what Our Happy Customers have to say

Rita was very helpful and knowledgeable. Put me at ease with the process. Being a new owner/operator, she was a big help. Thanks
LJ Association Corp.

Rita is amazing and easy to work with, kind and professional. She does an excellent job.
P. Land

Rita is always a great help! Calls to remind me about my motor carrier renewal and stays in top of it until it is processed. Would definitely recommend to anyone!
George Leon