California Truck Permits


Commercial Trucking Permits in California

If you are a commercial truck driver, then you need to be aware of the different types of permits that are required in California. There are several different types of commercial trucking permits, and each one has its own specific requirements. Learn more about the various types of truck permits needed for both intrastate and interstate travel in California and how to obtain them. Our team will assist you the entire way with your CA trucking permits and help you stay compliant while on the road.

What Permits are Needed for California Intrastate Trucking?

  • DOT Number

    All commercial trucks in the United States are required to have a DOT number. This number is assigned by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and must be displayed on the truck. DOT numbers are used to track information about commercial trucking companies, including their safety records and insurance coverage. If a company does not have a valid DOT number, it cannot operate legally in the United States. As a result, DOT numbers are an essential part of the commercial trucking industry.

  • CA Number

    A CA number is a unique identifier assigned to a motor carrier by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). The number is used to track the carrier's safety record and to ensure that they are in compliance with all state and federal regulations. The CA number must be displayed on the carrier's vehicles, and it must be provided to any shipper or broker that contracts with the carrier. If a carrier does not have a CA number, they can apply for one through the CHP.

  • Motor Carrier Permit

    A motor carrier permit, or MCP, is a permit issued by the Department of Transportation that allows a company to transport goods or passengers by truck. To obtain an MCP, a company must first pass a safety audit, which assesses their ability to operate safely and comply with all DOT regulations. Once a company has been granted an MCP, they are subject to periodic safety reviews to ensure that they are still meeting all DOT requirements. Obtaining an MCP is essential for any company that wants to transport goods by truck. Without an MCP, a company would not be allowed to operate on public roads.

  • Employer Pull Notice

    An employer pull notice, or EPN, is a system used by employers to track the driving records of their employees. Under an EPN arrangement, the employer contracts with a state DMV to receive periodic updates on the driving records of their employees. This allows the employer to take appropriate actions if an employee is involved in a serious traffic violation or accumulates too many points on their license.

Do I need Additional Permits for Interstate Travel Outside of CA?

  • Federal MC Authority

    An MC number is a unique identifier that allows the FMCSA to track a company's safety record. To get an MC number, a trucking company must first complete an application, known as an MCS-150 form. This form requires basic information about the company, such as its legal name and contact information. The FMCSA will then review the application and decide whether or not to issue the company an MC number. Once a company has an MC number, it can begin operating as a trucking company in the United States.

  • BOC-3 Filing

    A BOC-3 filing ("Designation of Agents for Service of Process") is a federal filing in the United States that assigns a process agent to accept legal documents on behalf of a transportation or logistics company in each state in which the company is authorized to do business.

  • UCR Filing

    Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) is an agreement between states to streamline the trucking registration process. Under the UCR agreement, truckers who operate in multiple states only need to file one registration, instead of keeping track of different requirements for each state. This not only saves time and paperwork, but it also makes it easier for law enforcement to identify trucks that are operating without a valid registration. In order to file for UCR, truckers must first choose a base state, which is the state where they maintain their principal place of business. They will then submit their registration fee to that state, along with any required documentation. Once their registration is processed, they will be issued a Unified Carrier Registration certificate, which they must keep on file in their truck.

  • 2290 HVUT

    2290 HVUT is a heavy vehicle use tax that is imposed by the IRS on truckers. The tax is based on the weight of the vehicle, and it is designed to help cover the costs of maintaining roads and bridges. 2290 HVUT is generally due when a trucker registers their vehicle for the first time each year. However, truckers can also file for an exemption if they plan to use their vehicles for less than 5,000 miles during the year. 2290 HVUT can be a significant expense for truckers, but it is important to remember that the tax helps to maintain our nation's infrastructure.

We Can Help with Your CA Trucking Permits

Obtain the Right Permits for Your Needs

There are many different types of trucking permits, and it's important to make sure you have the right ones for your needs. Depending on what you're hauling and where you're going, you'll need to make sure you have the proper permits. Interstate filings are required for any truck that crosses state lines, and oversize permits may be needed if you're carrying loads that are larger than usual. Trip permits are required in some states if you're making a one-time trip across state lines. In addition, truckers must file documents with the Public Utilities Commission in order to ensure that their rates are fair and reasonable. Trucking permits can be a complex and time-consuming process, but the team at TIS Trucking Services will help you navigate the process so you can focus on having a successful trip.

DMV Services Available in California

Nobody likes dealing with the DMV. Let us take the stress out of this process. Whether you're registering a new vehicle, renewing an existing registration, transferring a title, or updating your documents, that's where our team can help. We'll make sure the process is quick and easy, so you can get back on the road.

Get Help With Your Insurance Requirements

Our parent company, The Insurance Store, can help with your insurance needs for your commercial trucks, personal vehicles, home, and business. We have a wide range of options to choose from, so you can find the perfect coverage for your needs. No matter what type of insurance you're looking for, we can help you find the best coverage at the most competitive prices. Let us help you protect what's important to you.

Truck Permit Services Available in All States

We also offer trucking permit services for states surrounding California including Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon. Contact our team today to learn more!

Get Your CA Trucking Permits

Here is what Our Happy Customers have to say

Rita has been the absolute best during our permit process. Helped us with ALL questions we had was very patient with all our concerns as we are new business owners. Recommend her 100% we really appreciate your help Rita you’re amazing! Thank you very much!
Jesus Lutt

Rita was amazing very simple and fast service completed MCP renewal very fast would definitely recommend TIS Trucking Services!
Ricardo Barcenas

Shalyn has been been so helpful every step of the way and has made starting my business easy.
Brandon N.